Plans to dismantle and move the reconstructed Roman Temple of Mithras to temporary storage, ahead of a more faithful reconstruction, will begin on the 21 November 2011 by Museum of London Archaeology.
The temple, which is located at Walbrook Square, was discovered by chance in 1952 by archaeologist WF Grimes as the site was being prepared for redevelopment.
On the final day of excavation – September 18th 1954 – the marble head of the god of Mithras was unearthed. Several more amazing artefacts, including some sculptures, were later found – these are now on display in the Museum of London’s Roman gallery.
The temple was dismantled at that time and the Roman building material put into storage. In 1962 the temple was reconstructed on a podium adjacent to Queen Victoria Street, 90 metres from its original site, nine metres above its original level and set in modern cement mortar. Read more.