Oriens has been chosen as the name for the Romano-British child whose coffin and remains were found in a Witherley field.
The name, coming from the Latin verb ‘to rise’ - in the east like the sun - received most votes in a public poll organised by Archaeology Warwickshire, who are studying the artefact.
Work by the department, Warwickshire County Council’s commercial archaeology arm, and experts from the University of York have already uncovered fragments of skeleton and two pieces of jewellery.
These seem to point to the 3ft lead-lined coffin being for the daughter of a wealthy and or important family in Roman Britain, perhaps linked to the military settlement at nearby Mancetter. Read more.
The bones of a holy figure, still wearing shoes and initially wrapped in a finely-woven textile, have been found buried within a wall beneath Lincoln Castle in a discovery pointing to the remains of a church dating to “at least” 1,000 years ago, according to experts.
Archaeologists believe the remains of several skeletons found during the dig at the castle, which was built by William the Conqueror more than 900 years ago, date to a stone church created between the departure of the Romans and the arrival of the conquering Normans.
At least one of the remnants, found in a tiny space three metres below ground level, is a stone coffin, with the sacred bones found in a niche embedded in the foundations of an early stone wall on the opposite side of the site. Read more.
Two bracelets, believed to be “at least” 1,600 years old have been found in a Roman coffin.
The jet bracelets were found on Monday buried in silt inside the coffin which was discovered in a field in Witherley, Leicestershire last month.
Archaeologists from Warwickshire who are studying the find said one bracelet is in good condition, while the other needs “immediate conservation”.
They said they have not ruled out the possibility of further finds.
Stuart Palmer, business manager of Archaeology Warwickshire, said: “Both of the bracelets were in the bottom of the coffin. One of them has left its imprint on the coffin’s leaden base. Read more.
ARCHAEOLOGISTS are preparing to study in details the contents of a coffin believed to contain a Romano-British child.
The lid of the 1600 year-old coffin was lifted in Warwick this week after its recent discovery by metal-detectorist Chris Wright in a field close to the Warwickshire/Leicestershire border.
Archaeologists and scientists gathered at Warwickshire County Council’s Archaeology department on Monday (November 11) for the opening, which to the untrained eye looked like it was full of mud, which had worked its way in through cracks in the lead-lined coffin down the centuries.
But experts are convinced the coffin and its contents will provide them with a lot of information. Read more.
AS archaeologists prepare to open a child’s coffin believed to be 1600 years old, residents are being asked to select a name for the child.
The relic was uncovered two weeks ago in a field six miles from Tamworth and is due to be examined on Monday by a team from the University of York InterArchive – Archaeology project.
The discovery of the lead coffin was made by metal-detectorist Chris Wright and is believed to contain a Romano-British child who died over 1600 years ago.
It has been in the care of Warwickshire County Council’s Archaeology Unit who have been commissioned to study it. Read more.
A child’s coffin believed to date back to the 3rd Century AD has been found beneath a Leicestershire field by metal detectorists.
The Digging Up The Past club found the lead coffin and Roman coins at a farm in the west of the county.
Club spokesman David Hutchings said: “I knew it was something a bit special as soon as I saw it.”
Archaeologists have now been appointed by the group to help remove the coffin and analyse the find.
Mr Hutchings said he and a group of volunteers had been keeping a nightly vigil at the site because they were “scared of looters coming in and taking the grave away”. Read more.
Around 2,900 years ago, an ancient Egyptian man, likely in his 20s, passed away after suffering from a rare, cancerlike disease that may also have left him with a type of diabetes.
When he died he was mummified, following the procedure of the time. The embalmers removed his brain(through the nose it appears), poured resin-like fluid into his head and pelvis, took out some of his organs and inserted four linen “packets” into his body. At some point the mummy was transferred to the 2,300 year-old sarcophagus of a woman named Kareset, an artifact that is now in the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb, Croatia.
The mummy transfer may have been the work of 19th-century antiquity traders keen on selling Kareset’s coffin but wanting to have a mummy inside to raise the price.
Until now, scientists had assumed a female mummy was inside the Egyptian coffin. The new research reveals not only that the body does not belong to Kareset, but the male mummy inside was sick. Read more.
NEW YORK: An antiques dealer pleaded guilty Wednesday to smuggling ancient Egyptian treasures, including a coffin, to the United States.
Mousa Khouli, also known as Morris Khouli, aged 38, faces up to 20 years of prison for “smuggling Egyptian cultural property into the United States and making a false statement to law enforcement authorities,” the federal prosecutor’s office in New York said.
Khouli arranged for the purchase and smuggling of a Greco-Roman style Egyptian coffin, a three-part nesting coffin set, a set of Egyptian funerary boats, and Egyptian limestone figures between October 2008 and November 2009, officials said.
The antiquities were exported from Dubai into the United States with false documentation.
Khouli also settled a civil complaint seeking forfeiture of Egyptian and Iraqi artifacts, prosecutors said. (source)