A child’s grave and pits full of bone shards, tooth enamel, bead necklaces and Roman roofing have been discovered in the massive archaeological dig which has turned Camp Farm, in Maryport, into a hotbed of Roman finds this summer.
The westernmost pit at the Cumbria site has been revealed as a long cist grave. Its stone lining is typical of burials at the end and shortly after the Roman era in the west of Europe and southern Scotland.
“We’re discovering new things on an almost daily basis which are giving us new insights into what happened on this site across hundreds of years,” said Tony Wilmot, the site director.
“What we think we’re looking at is a Christian cemetery close to a sequence of Christian religious buildings. Read more.
Who left 92 pieces of valuable loot on the edge of the Lake District in the 10th century?
The Northerner, or the Hoarder as it is soon to be renamed, now brings you news of yet another discovery of bullion in our rich regional earth.
After the golden finds in Leeds and Tadcaster in Yorkshire, here is an impressive amount of silver which a detectorist has unearthed on the Furness peninsula (the beautiful approach to interesting Barrow where, a propos of doom-laden suggestions that northern manufacturing has ceased, we still make ships).
This find may have more than usual historical significance according to initial analysis which dates it to around 955 when Norse invaders were having a rough time in the face of an Anglo-Saxon counter-attack. Documentary history has it that England was a unified entity under King Athelstan, after a gathering of English sub-kings and thegns at Eamont Bridge, on the 12th July, AD 927. (If their ghosts are still around, incidentally, they may be impressed by the village’s new flood defences). Read more.
Archaeologists have broken new ground on a former Roman fort in Cumbria.
Members of Lunesdale Archaeology Society and young archaeology clubs have been digging at Low Borrowbridge Farm, near the M6 in the Tebay gorge.
They found walls, floors with the remains of an ancient central heating system, pottery, coins and a ballista bolt - a type of artillery round.
The week-long dig also raised new questions about a building that had been thought to be a bath house.
This followed a dig on the site in 1883 by the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society. Read more.
A series of dramatic discoveries made at Camp Farm in Maryport will rewrite the history books.
Experts originally believed that a unique cache of 17 altars, discovered in 1870, were buried as part of a religious ritual.
But this year’s excavations have debunked this age-old myth and proved beyond doubt that the they were re-used as part of the foundation of a huge building, possibly a temple.
Post-holes unearthed on the site indicate the presence of a massive timber building supported by thick pillars that would have made today’s telephone poles look puny.
Professor Ian Haynes, excavation director, said: “We can say we have basically destroyed the myth that’s been running for decades and that’s gratifying. Read more.
Archaeologists working on the site of a Roman settlement in Cumbria have released details of how it might have looked in its heyday.
The site, near Brougham, was discovered in 2008 by United Utilities engineers excavating for a sewage pipeline.
It included remains of timber buildings and streets, and is now believed to date back to the 1st Century.
A team from Oxford has been examining the site, which is believed to be a civilian settlement attached to a fort.
During their excavations, archaeologists uncovered artefacts including gaming counters, jewellery, coins and drinking vessels.
The settlement has been named Brocavum and experts are now preparing a detailed analysis of the findings.
There are also hopes that there will be a permanent home for the artefacts in a local museum. Read more.