After a year of legal and diplomatic negotiations, Egypt is to receive Tuesday a collection of 15 ancient Egyptian objects from London.
Ali Ahmed, head of the Antiquities Recuperation Section of the antiquities ministry said that these objects were monitored last year by the section as they were on the selling lists of Christie’s and Bonham’s auction halls in London.
After examining the photos of these objects and comparing them with the ministry’s registry, archaeologists of the Recuperation Section approved their authenticity. All legal procedures were then taken immediately to stop their sale and remove them from auction halls. Read more.
The Greco-Roman museum in Alexandria, which has been hidden beneath iron scaffolding and green tarpaulin since it was closed in 2005, is to be restored.
Minister of Antiquities Mamdouh El-Damaty announced on Monday that restoration work at the museum would begin in December.
He told Ahram Online that the project had been delayed for three reasons: lack of funding, poor security and bureaucracy, but these had now been solved.
The Italian government has provided money to fund the restoration.
“The funds for the restoration come within the framework of a memorandum of understanding [MOU] signed with Egypt in 2008 to strengthen ties of friendship, cultural and scientific cooperation, and the protection of cultural heritage between Italy and Egypt,” said El-Damaty. Read more.
Antiquities minister Mamdouh El-Damaty embarked Thursday on an inspection tour around the different archaeological sites and monuments in the upper Egyptian city of Beni Suef escorted by the city’s governor Magdi El-Batiti and Youssef Khalifa, head of the ancient Egyptian section.
The area of Meidum Pyramid was the first site to be visited. During the tour, El-Damaty announced that a comprehensive restoration project is to begin immediately to make the site more tourist friendly.
The development project will include the establishment of a sound and light show on the ancient history of Beni Suef and the construction work of Meidum pyramid. Read more.
CAIRO - An Italian-Spanish archeological team on Friday prepared to launch a dig in an extraordinary tomb whose discovery was announced six months ago.
The tomb belongs to Min, an important government officer of the XVIII dynasty, an era ruled by pharaohs such as Tutankhamun and the “heretic” pharaoh Akhenaten, who established a sun cult dedicated to the sun disk Aten, among others. The tomb dacks back 3,500 years and is found on the western side of Luxor, in the necropolis of Thebes. “It will take 10 years of work to open it to the public,” explained the Italian and Spanish project leaders, Irene Morfini and Mila Alvarez Sosa. The two, young passionate archeologists head the Min Project, an excavation of the tomb of Min (TT109) and its extension Kampp-327. Read more.
Starting today (Saturday), and for two days only, all open archaeological sites in Egypt can be visited for free.
Minister of Antiquities Mamdouh El-Damaty told Ahram Online that the decision is the ministry’s way of marking World Tourism Day and an attempt to encourage Egyptians and foreigners who live in Egypt to know more about the country’s civilisation. It also, he added, reflects the country’s stable security condition. “Egypt is safe,” El-Damaty asserted.
El-Damaty went on saying that in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, a number of cultural events are to be held, including musical concerts, folk dance performances and poetry recitals organised in Al-Muizz Street, Al-Suhaimy House in Old Cairo, Manial Palace, the garden of the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir, at the Abu Simbel temples and Qayetbay Citadel in Alexandria. Read more.
CAIRO (AFP).- UNESCO has asked Egypt for a detailed report on restoration work carried out at the Djoser pyramid following reports the more than 4,600-year-old monument has been damaged, an official of the UN agency said Wednesday.
Egyptian media reported earlier this month that the pyramid, which dominates the necropolis of Saqqara, southwest of Cairo, has been damaged during the restoration work.
"The UNESCO World Heritage Centre sent a letter to the ministry of antiquities requesting a detailed technical report on the work," said Tamar Teneishvili, a senior official of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation in Cairo. Read more.
The Egyptian foreign ministry handed over “samples stolen in the Cheops pyramid” to the antiquities ministry, said the state news agency MENA.
The fragments had been in Germany before being returned to Egypt. They were handed over to Egyptian authorities at the country’s embassy in Berlin.
Former antiquities minister Mohamed Ibrahim said in December “German researchers, helped by an Egyptian guide had taken samples of stone, as well as fragments of a tablet bearing the name of the Pharaoh Cheops” in the pyramid. The tablet was the only one in the pyramid showing the Pharaoh’s name. Read more.
More than 3,300 years ago, in a newly built city in Egypt, a woman with an incredibly elaborate hairstyle of lengthy hair extensions was laid to rest.
She was not mummified, her body simply being wrapped in a mat. When archaeologists uncovered her remains they found she wore “a very complex coiffure with approximately 70 extensions fastened in different layers and heights on the head,” writes Jolanda Bos, an archaeologist working on the Amarna Project, in an article recently published in the Journal of Egyptian Archaeology.
Researchers don’t know her name, age or occupation, but she is one of hundreds of people, including many others whose hairstyles are still intact, who were buried in a cemetery near an ancient city now called Amarna. Read more.