The grave of King Richard III has been preserved for posterity — digitally at least. Scientists say they created a 3D reconstruction of the monarch’s burial place discovered beneath a parking lot in Leicester, England, last year.
The researchers combined laser scanning with digital photogrammetric techniques to map the terrain of the grave as it was after the battle-scarred skeleton of Richard III was removed.
"Historically, you would have had to physically go into your survey area and measure every point by hand," explained David Ackerley, a geography researcher in the University of Leicester.
"This technique allows for a quick, high resolution recording of features in areas that may be inaccessible — or where you want to preserve the layout of your site," Ackerley added in a statement. Read more.
Hidden in a necropolis situated high in the mountains of the Caucasus in Russia, researchers have discovered the grave of a male warrior laid to rest with gold jewelry, iron chain mail and numerous weapons, including a 36-inch (91 centimeters) iron sword set between his legs.
That is just one amazing find among a wealth of ancient treasures dating back more than 2,000 years that scientists have uncovered there.
Among their finds are two bronze helmets, discovered on the surface of the necropolis. One helmet (found in fragments and restored) has relief carvings of curled sheep horns while the other has ridges, zigzags and other odd shapes. Read more.
In a major development for the archaeological excavations across Qatar, an unmarked grave has been discovered at Wadi Debayan, an important site with human occupation dating back to about 7,500 years ago.
The exploration of Wadi Debayan, situated on the northwestern side of Qatar to the south of the site of Al Zubara and the Rá’s ‘Ushayriq peninsula, is part of the Remote Sensing and Qatar National Historical Environment Record (QNHER) Project.
“We have come across one burial, probably a full skeleton and though we cannot say that we have a cemetery there, it is a fair possibility,” project co-director Richard Cuttler told Gulf Times during a site visit.
QNHER is being developed as part of the Remote Sensing Project, a joint initiative between the Qatar Museums Authority under the guidance of Faisal al-Naimi (head of antiquities), and the University of Birmingham, where Cuttler is a research fellow.
“The grave was a very surprising find that came out of one of the several test pits. We have seen some pieces of the tibia, one of the two leg bones, which shows the skeleton is in a crouched position typical of Neolithic burials” he explained. Read more.
Farmer Jock McMaster got a big surprise when he was ploughing his fields at Blairbuy Farm last week when his plough unearthed an ancient grave.
The blade of the plough it and uplifted a huge stone slab, which Jock discovered was the lid of a cist. Inside was the remains of a skeleton from the Bronze Age.
He told The Galloway Gazette: “The slab just came up when I was ploughing last Thursday. I noticed immediately that it was unlike any other stone in he area. It was a huge flat stone and it got stuck in the plough.
“I had a guddle in the hole and found the skeleton. I then reported it to the archeology unity at the council and they will take it from there. I expect they will excavate the site at some point.
“There was obviously a lot of activity here in ancient times as we have the standing stones and the Wren’s Egg stone nearby.
“There is nothing much to see the moment but it will be interesting to see what else turns up.”
And what did turn up was three cists! Read more.
The poet and playwright was executed during the first months of the Spanish Civil War and the site of his burial in an unmarked grave somewhere on a hillside south of Granada has been a subject of controversy ever since.
Now a local historian, Miguel Caballero Perez, believes he has identified the true grave of Lorca, author of Blood Wedding, Yerma and the House of Bernada Alba, and has applied for permission to carry out archaeological studies on the area.
The request is just the latest step in an ongoing saga to discover the final resting place of the literary figure and three others executed alongside him in August 1936 by members of Franco’s Black Squadron who targeted him for his leftwing views and homosexuality. Read more.
Four to five thousand years ago, a wealthy teenage girl was laid to rest in a grave at what archaeologists believe is a newly found henge in Kent, England.
The discovery of the 17-year-old’s grave — along with a unique prehistoric pot inside of a ringed ditch near two other women — strengthens the idea that important death-related rituals took place at many of these mysterious ancient monuments when they were first erected.
Mystery still surrounds Stonehenge and other sacred sites in the U.K., but a new probable henge in Kent strengthens the idea that important death-related rituals took place at many of these monuments when they were first erected 5000 to 4000 years ago. Read more.
A group hoping the state attorney general’s office would validate their contention that the founder of Madisonville is buried in a long-lost grave on the south side of the town near the Tchefuncte River will have to look elsewhere.
The top archaeologist for Attorney General Buddy Caldwell’s office says that after poring over old records and databases, he cannot say with any certainty such a grave exists.
"We’re at a dead end," said Ryan Seidemann, an attorney and archaeologist who was asked to probe the mystery of whether the bones of Jean Baptiste Baham, Madisonville’s founder, lie underground on a spit of land near the Maritime Museum. "We’ve gone about as far as we can go." Read more.
Nunavut government officials are defending their decision not to give a Chicago man an archeological permit to search for Sir John Franklin’s grave in the Arctic.
Ron Carlson, a Chicago-based architect, pilot and Franklin history buff, had wanted to fly over King William Island with his DeHavilland Beaver aircraft and use thermal imaging equipment to look for the British explorer’s grave.
But Carlson told CBC News this week that his application for a territorial archeological permit was rejected just as he had arrived in Nunavut late last month.
The territory’s Department of Culture, Language, Elders and Youth, which is responsible for issuing the permit, ruled that Carlson was not qualified.
Doug Stenton, the department’s heritage director, said many people want their name associated with Franklin, whose doomed 1845 voyage and disappearance in the Northwest Passage has fascinated historians for almost 170 years. Read more.