Two medieval rubbish pits were unearthed during archaeological excavations undertaken by Wexford-based consultants Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology in advance of the re-development of a site at South Main Street.
The pits were found beneath the remains of buildings at 52a-54a South Main Street, which were demolished to make way for the new Dealz development.
'The old buildings on the site were demolished and the site was archaeologically tested. In doing so a series of large pits were uncovered. Subsequent excavation revealed these features to be large medieval rubbish pits, filled by a variety of deposits and containing archaeological artefacts,' said Catherine McGloughlin. Read more.
Archaeologists have found a burial vault beneath a floor they were preparing for restoration in a church in east Cork.
The vault — believed to date from the 1700s — was discovered in the 900-year-old St Mary’s Collegiate Church in Youghal.
During excavations, the archaeologists also found evidence of centuries-old heating systems.
The vault, 30cm beneath the surface, was unearthed by Daniel Noonan, who runs an archaeological consultancy agency, working with John Kelly of David Kelly Partnership.
They were investigating the floor’s subsidence in a €60,000 restoration project funded by the Heritage Council of Ireland. The stone vault was crisscrossed by protective pine beams between it and the floor. Read more.
The north Connemara coastline could be one of this island’s richest “time capsules” of life before sea levels rose, according to State archaeologists who have removed a 3,700-year-old structure from the shore in Co Galway.
A team from the Underwater Archaeology Unit has excavated the entire oak structure, resembling an ancient trackway, which was exposed on the coastline at Lippa near Spiddal by last winter’s storms.
The “trackway”, discovered earlier this spring, may in fact be a very well-preserved and highly significant example of a fulacht fiadh, or ancient cooking place, constructed at a time when forests and lagoons extended out into what is now Galway Bay. Read more.
A tiny County Louth village has been confirmed as home to one of the most important Viking sites in the world.
Carbon testing on trenches at a ‘virgin’ site in Annagassan have revealed that the small rural community once housed a Viking winter base, one of only two in Ireland.
The other went on to become Dublin but the Annagassan site, 50 miles north of the capital, was believed to be the stuff of mythology and folklore until now.
Geophysical tests funded by Dundalk’s County Museum have allowed scientists to make the big breakthrough. Read more.
Planners have launched a probe following claims that a rare site where early humans settled has been badly damaged without carrying out proper archaeological investigation.
The Department of the Environment (DoE) said its planning department has launched an enforcement investigation to establish if a breach of planning control had taken place at Ballymaglaff in Dundonald in relation to archaeological matters.
Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) also sent staff to inspect the site after concerns were raised about the road access to a new housing development close to the Comber Greenway. Read more.
An archaeological excavation at Ireland’s best-preserved Anglo Norman castle has been extended after the discovery of a secret tunnel.
Experts from Queen’s University had been commissioned to spend three weeks conducting exploratory digs at Carrickfergus Castle in a bid to find out more about the 800-year-old fortification on the shores of Belfast Lough.
But Stormont’s Environment Minister Mark H Durkan has now given the archaeologists another month to carry out further excavations.
Built in 1177 by Anglo Norman knight John de Courcy soon after his invasion of Ulster, the castle lies on the stretch of coastline where King William III landed in Ireland before the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. Read more.
An alliance of pirates preyed on ships laden with treasure, outmatched Britain’s Royal Navy, elected their own admiral and, ultimately, were destroyed in a cataclysmic battle against a Dutch fleet in 1614, suggests new archaeological and historical research.
The new study reveals more details about the adventures of this pirate alliance, which operated on the southwest coast of Munster, Ireland, in the early 17th century.
Among the recent archaeological discoveries that may be connected to the alliance are two remote sites, each with a set of stairs reaching almost to the sea. One of them, located at modern-day “Dutchman’s Cove,” east of Baltimore, Ireland, held niches where candles or lanterns were used to signal pirates and smugglers who came in the dead of night. Read more.
Historical secrets locked within the walls of Ireland’s best preserved Anglo Norman castle could be uncovered through a new archaeological excavation.
Experts started work at Carrickfergus Castle today in a bid to find out more about the 800-year-old fortification on the shores of Belfast Lough.
Built in 1177 by Anglo Norman knight John de Courcy soon after his invasion of Ulster, the castle lies on the stretch of coastline where King William III landed in Ireland before the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.
Its storied history includes sieges by King John in 1210 and Edward Bruce in 1315 and capture by the French under Captain Francois Thurot in 1760. Read more.