The fate of one of the largest archaeological finds in Hong Kong - and the Sha Tin-Central rail link - was left undecided last night after the man in charge of studying the dig stopped short of a recommendation.
Dr Liu Wensuo, of Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, the lead archaeologist in a study of the relics found in To Kwa Wan, was asked at a meeting of the Antiquities Advisory Board whether he considered the relics should be preserved on site, or removed.
He replied: “There are both pros and cons of in situ preservation. It is not a question that I can answer, but is a matter to be discussed with the board, the Antiquities and Monuments Office and even residents.” Read more.
A Western Australian archaeology consultancy has conducted a cost-benefit analysis of improved treatments for sediment samples taken from ancient occupation sites.
Archaeologists examine sediments for evidence of a site’s human history.
Archae-Aus research manager Dr Caroline Bird says archaeologists in private practice typically dry-sieve excavated material for private clients, but wet-sieving achieves much better results.
"It was really to see whether the time spent getting the extra data from doing more fine sieving actually was justified in terms of cost," she says.
While wet-sieving is more time consuming than dry-sieving, Dr Bird says it dramatically improves the speed and quality of analysis as it is easier to examine clean gravel than dirty gravel. Read more.
Ethnic people in a Quang Nam Province commune discovered a trove of ancient relics they later threw away or gave to children as toys.
The Co Tu minority people were digging the foundation of a new home in a resettlement area in Nam Giang District’s Ta Binh ward when they struck a trove of pottery pieces, vases, strings and pots buried under the ground.
Most of the relics were thrown away, some agate beads given to children as toys.
A group of archaeologists from the Sa Huynh Culture Museum recently spent hours excavating the site, unearthing relics they believe belonged to the Sa Huynh civilization. Read more.
BURLEY • This year’s fire season not only cleared out thousands of acres of vegetation, but has also exposed culturally and historically significant artifacts across south-central Idaho.
Public lands officials are now urging people not to disturb the relics.
“The chances are pretty high that people are going to be running across something,” said Suzanne Henrikson, archeologist with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Burley field office. “Especially in burn areas, these relics have no vegetation to cover them.”
The BLM is charged with protecting these relics and is prohibited by federal law from pinpointing the exact location of those they do find. However, Henrikson said that running across a historically valuable artifact is possible across the entire 400,000-acre BLM Twin Falls District. Read more.
KARACHI: The police and archaeology experts seem to be at loggerheads over the actual number of Gandhara relics seized earlier in the month.
Amid press reports that some artefacts have been stolen from the Awami Colony police station, both parties associated with the case are coming up with a different total for the statues.
While National Museum’s director Mohammad Shah Bokhari claims to have photographed and documented around 330 pieces earlier, the newly posted SHO at the police station, Hatim Marwat, says there are only 308 artefacts.
The police had seized a container full of Buddhist relics on July 6 and then found some more in a Korangi warehouse on July 8. As the police were investigating the case, archaeology experts, including officials from Sindh culture department and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s archaeology department, were called in to record the details of the seized relics. Read more.
The Sudanese ministry for antiquities is appealing to the international archaeological community to conduct rescue operations to salvage Sudan’s rich archaeological heritage, which is at risk from a series of dams planned in areas including Kajbar, Shereiq and Upper Atbara. The proposed dams will flood various regions along the Nile within three to six years. International experts met representatives from the ministry and the Dams Implementation Unit at the British Museum in London in May to share information and lay the foundation for a large-scale rescue campaign reminiscent of the one mounted more than a decade ago when the Merowe Dam project was under way.
One of the meeting’s key outcomes was learning how much time archaeologists have to work before the flooding begins—a simple yet vital question that resulted in much to-ing and fro-ing before those assembled received an answer. It appears that scholars have around three years until flood waters from the Upper Atbara dam are released, and around six years in the case of the Kajbar and Shereiq dams. Read more.
KARACHI: A day after seizing dozens of third century Buddhist artefacts from a container truck, the police found more such figurines stuffed away in a warehouse in the Ibrahim Hyderi area, Korangi.
The police said that they were able to recover some more Gandhara relics on information provided by the arrested driver and cleaner of the truck. The artefacts seized on Friday morning were also stocked in the same warehouse and were loaded onto the truck.
However, the sculptures recovered on Saturday could not be shifted to the police station as they were “too heavy”. The statues were stuffed in two large boxes and one of a smaller size. SP Latif Siddiqui told The Express Tribune that a mechanical lifter was called to shift the ancient artefacts to the police station. Read more.
WORK is underway to return boulders stolen from historical sites in A’ali by saboteurs to set up roadblocks during clashes with police.
Masked youths had cut the barbed wire fence surrounding the village’s burial mounds earlier this month, took the boulders and used them to block roads.
Some of the historical boulders have also been broken into smaller pieces when they were removed from the streets by cleaning companies, the GDN earlier reported.
The Culture Ministry has started the process to return them to their original location before the sites get re-fenced to ensure no further trespassing takes place.
However, officials are worried the sites would be desecrated again as it would be easy for the youths to remove the fence.
They are urging community leaders to take a stand against acts of vandalism to ensure that Bahrain’s most valuable historic site are protected. Read more.