Three scientists yesterday lost their bid to prevent burial of two 9000-year-old human skeletons claimed by the Kumeyaay people of southern California. The 9th circuit federal court in San Francisco ruled against university professors who filed suit in 2012 to halt the repatriation in order to analyze the ancient bones. But the professors aren’t giving up yet and may appeal.
The skeletons, which the researchers say are scientifically valuable because of their antiquity, were discovered in 1976 near the swimming pool of the chancellor’s residence at the University of California, San Diego. After a protracted legal battle, the university agreed in 2012 to return the skeletons to the nearby Kumeyaay tribe, which claimed them. Read more.
SKELETAL remains discovered at Trinity College could date back to the Vikings, archaeologists have said.
Remains of at least five people were uncovered last month during the Luas cross city works.
Supervising archaeologists, Rubicon Heritage Services, said that it is too early to give an exact date of the bones but the possibility that the remains are Viking cannot be ruled out.
The bodies were discovered just north of the gates of Trinity College on College Green.
An initial examination of the remains has led the team to believe that there is at least one adult male and one ‘sub-adult’, or teenager, in the group. Read more.
Buried secrets of life in medieval Leith have been uncovered after the results of a five-year project to analyse bodies discovered during an archaeological dig were unveiled.
The project, conducted by the city council and Headland Archaeology, began when the remains of almost 400 men, women and children were discovered on the Constitution Street site – previously a section of the South Leith Parish Church’s graveyard – during preparation work for the trams in 2009.
Now forensic artists from the University of Dundee have been able to provide a glimpse of what the Leithers would have looked like 600 years ago by using special technology to rebuild their faces. Read more.
Scientists are investigating what may be the oldest identified race war 13,000 years after it raged on the fringes of the Sahara. French scientists working in collaboration with the British Museum have been examining dozens of skeletons, a majority of whom appear to have been killed by archers using flint-tipped arrows.
The bones – from Jebel Sahaba on the east bank of the Nile in northern Sudan – are from victims of the world’s oldest known relatively large-scale human armed conflict.
Over the past two years anthropologists from Bordeaux University have discovered literally dozens of previously undetected arrow impact marks and flint arrow head fragments on and around the bones of the victims. Read more.
SAN SALVADOR – Japanese and Salvadoran archaeologists said Friday they have found three 1,600-year-old human skeletons in El Salvador that could shed new light on early human settlements in the region.
The three nearly complete skeletons, preserved in volcanic ash, were found near the Pacific coast at a dig called Nueva Esperanza.
The area was buried in ash from gigantic eruptions in the fifth and sixth centuries, which has helped preserve evidence of a pre-Hispanic coastal settlement possibly dedicated to salt production and fishing. Read more.
Archaeologists from Bournemouth have uncovered ancient burials during a dig near a Roman villa in north Dorset.
Staff and students from Bournemouth University unearthed five skeletons near a Roman Villa in Winterborne Kingston on Wednesday, June 15.
It’s thought the remains, which date back to the mid-4th century, could belong to three generations of the same family who owned the villa.
The skeletons of two adult males, two adult females and one elderly female were discovered at the farm, which is currently being excavated as part of the Durotriges Big Dig project. Read more.
A search for evidence of the 16th and 17th century plague victims buried at London’s infamous Bedlam burial ground – the first not to be associated with a parish church, near the Bethlem Hospital which responded to the crisis – has been launched ahead of the excavation of thousands of skeletons beneath Liverpool Street.
Researchers are poring over parish records, held at the city’s Metropolitan Archives, in a hunt for the names of those buried. The burial ground did not keep its own records, but parish churches logged which of their parishioners were left at Bedlam.
“As so many of the records of time are likely to be missing we will only obtain a snapshot of who was buried at Bedlam,” said Jay Carver, the Lead Archaeologist for Crossrail, the contractors who removed around 400 skeletons in a preliminary excavation. Read more.
Nine human skeletons have been found by archaeologists excavating land to be used for a water pipeline in Suffolk.
Eight of them, found together near Barnham, are believed to date back to about AD300. Two of the bodies had been buried with a brooch and a knife.
The other skeleton was discovered at Rougham.
Anglian Water, which is installing a new pipeline to serve Bury St Edmunds, said items from the dig would be “kept in a secure museum archive”.
The dig took five months and also unearthed evidence of Anglo Saxon “grub huts” from the 6th Century, near Barnham. Read more.