In Duryea, 10,000 years of history was dealt a setback in one evening of intentional destruction.
What is believed to be a group of vandals ransacked an archaeological dig overlooking the confluence of the Lackawanna and Susquehanna rivers, upending three decades of work by a combination of professional and amateur archeologists.
Al Pesotine, of the Frances Dorrance Chapter of the Society of Pennsylvania Archaeology, is saddened by the destruction and perplexed as to the motive.
"Whoever did this, did it with a vengeance - a meanness," he said of the damage to the site known as the Conrail Research Site. Read more.
BELL COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) - Officials say vandals are damaging historical artifacts used in the Civil War that are on display at the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.
Park Rangers are now using surveillance cameras to catch those responsible.
The cannon on top of the Pinnacle in the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park is part of history.
"The gun tube itself was used in the Civil War. We’re talking a real artifact here, not just some decoration," said Chief Ranger Dirk Wiley.
Chief Ranger Wiley says some people are vandalizing the part of history. People are carving initials, names, even profanity into it.
"These are tangible links to our past and it’s very disrespectful to do that to all the soldiers who lost their lives in this conflict," said Martha Wiley, the Park Historian. Read more.
MALE, Maldives — Nearly a week after vandals stormed into the National Museum here and destroyed almost 30 Buddhist statues — some dating back to the sixth century — the broken glass has been swept away and the remnants have been locked up. But officials say the loss to this island nation’s archaeological legacy can never be made up.
Amid the recent political turmoil that has racked this tiny Indian Ocean nation of 1,200 islands, a half dozen men stormed into the museum last Tuesday and ransacked a collection of coral and lime figures, including a six-faced coral statue and a one-and-a-half-foot wide representation of the Buddha’s head. Officials said the men attacked the figures because they believed they were idols and illegal under Islamic and national laws.
There were contradictory reports about whether suspects had been arrested. Mr. Waheed said five men were caught at the museum but a spokesman for the police, Ahmed Shiyam, said on Monday that investigators were still collecting evidence and had not made arrests. Read more.
All across Texas, the bones of history lie in watery graves. From the ribs of sunken ships to the grave sites of prehistoric Texans, uncounted treasures abound beneath the surface of rivers and lakes. For state archaeologists, these sites are untapped treasures — hard to reach but relatively protected.
But now, with the state in the grip of devastating drought, such sites are emerging from receding waters and — for the first time in years, experts worry — becoming vulnerable to looters and vandals.
Since midsummer, the Texas Historical Commission, which oversees such locations, has on average learned of a newly exposed site each month, said Pat Mercado-Allinger, the agency’s archaeology director.
Among the sites are four cemeteries, including an apparent slave burial ground in Navarro County, southeast of Dallas. In Central Texas, fishermen recovered a human skull thought to be thousands of years old. Read more.
WELLINGTON, Carbon County — A reward of up to $2,500 is being offered to capture and convict vandals who defaced the “First Canyon Site” rock art panel in Nine Mile Canyon.
The “First Canyon Site” rock art site was recently added to the National Register of Historic Places because of its importance to the prehistory of Nine Mile Canyon. The BLM says vandals built a campfire under the site, staining the art panel. They also used charcoal from the campfire to write graffiti on the panel. The damage to the rock art site was reported to the BLM by Price residents in early September.
Nine Mile Canyon is world-renowned for its high concentration of rock art sites and is often called the world’s longest art gallery.
“Although the rock art in Nine Mile canyon has survived hundreds of years, it is very delicate. Restoring rock art sites after deliberate vandalism is a complex, difficult process, and not always possible,” said Patricia Clabaugh, manager of the BLM’s Price Field Office. Read more.
TUCSON - The Bureau of Land Management says that five young adults convicted of defacing a prehistoric American Indian site outside of Tucson have been fined more than $43,000 and sentenced to five years of probation.
The agency said Monday that the five people from Sahuarita, who range in age from 20 to 23, were sentenced in federal court after pleading guilty to defacing an archaeological resource in June.
Each was fined about $7,800 while a juvenile involved was ordered to pay $4,000 in restitution.
The archaeological site is known as Indian Kitchen. The site, southeast of Tucson, was first used by members of prehistoric Hohokam culture to grind grain on bedrock.
The BLM says that spray paint is still visible on the rocks because some of the damage cannot be fixed. (source)
Three historic monuments have been attacked by vandals in the Italian capital, Rome.
In the first attack, a man was caught on security cameras chipping two pieces off a marble statue on a fountain in the Piazza Navona.
Hours later tourists watched as a man threw a rock at the famous Trevi Fountain in the centre of the city.
Police then said they caught an American student scaling a wall of the Colosseum to chip off pieces of marble.
The fountain in the Piazza Navona is a 19th Century reproduction of a much earlier group of statues - now in a museum for safekeeping. It was not seriously damaged.
Police say the attacker could be the same individual who threw the rock at the Trevi monument - of Three Coins in the Fountain movie fame. Read more.
VANDALS have toppled a wall at Burgh Castle’s magnificent Roman Fort that has stood firm since the third century and witnessed immense changes.
Despite mounting regular patrols at the tranquil beauty spot, which has become a haven for anti-social behaviour over the summer key keeper, John Russell discovered the “appalling” attack last week.
But Mr Russell, who lives nearby, said he did not suspect the rowdy youngsters who congregate there, leaving a trail of bottles and litter, but rather thought it was down to two or three teenagers messing about.
He said: “My wife and I walked around the fort in the afternoon and it was lovely and sunny and there were families picnicking. “I went out again at around 10pm to check there was no-one misbehaving, and I found part of the wall had been pushed over. I was appalled.”
Dr Peter Wade-Martins, director of Norfolk Archaeological Trust which owns the site, said the section was probably only two or three feet high but was in the right position, as it had been for centuries. Read more.