ARCHAEOLOGISTS are preparing to study in details the contents of a coffin believed to contain a Romano-British child.
The lid of the 1600 year-old coffin was lifted in Warwick this week after its recent discovery by metal-detectorist Chris Wright in a field close to the Warwickshire/Leicestershire border.
Archaeologists and scientists gathered at Warwickshire County Council’s Archaeology department on Monday (November 11) for the opening, which to the untrained eye looked like it was full of mud, which had worked its way in through cracks in the lead-lined coffin down the centuries.
But experts are convinced the coffin and its contents will provide them with a lot of information. Read more.
Piotr Bojakowski, 32, has been working in Bermuda for about a year as an archaeologist and conservator at the National Museum of Bermuda. We interviewed this native of Poland who has been researching the wreck of the Warwick, a 17th-century ship.
Q: What’s the story on the wreck?
A: In October 1619, the Warwick came to Bermuda with colonists and cargo; it was a stopping point for the English ship, which was bound for Jamestown in Virginia. The ship was here about a month, offloading some colonists and food and preparing to leave. But on Nov. 20, according to chronicles, a hurricane struck Bermuda. The Warwick’s crew was prepped, but the moorings gave way and the ship crashed into the reefs and rocks surrounding the anchorage, one of the best inside Castle Harbour.
The ship was completely lost — sunk with everything it still had on board. The governor of Bermuda, Capt. Nathaniel Butler, had been on board; he had a journal and wrote down events day after day. So we had very good data about the Warwick’s location. Read more.
‘The loss of the good ship Warwick was not the only disaster that this cruel storm brought with it. It also meant the total ruin of the winter’s crop of corn, to such a great extent that all the inhabitants were very worried about a shortage of food. They had good reason to be anxious, for even though the islands were prolific enough in every respect, and had two harvests every year, yet careless wastage had become the custom with most of the people’ - C.F.E. Hollis Hallett, Butler’s History of the Bermudas, 2007
On October 20, 1619, the third governor arrived in Bermuda at the behest of the Somers Island Company, the corporation that owned the 12,000 acres of the island. Read more.